14 March, 2017

The People

I spent my day doing the human thing. No, not humane... human. I work in tech. People tend to think tech is keyboards, screens, and code.

However, today, I talked some, and I listened a lot. I work in a satellite office, but I'm on a visit to HQ. There has been a lot of turnover in leadership through the last year, and I spent time with Directors, VPs, a C-level person, and others. All but one of these people were new since my last visit.

I'm not really a press-the-flesh kind of person. I feel like I can connect, remotely, via technology, but you have to be very deliberate. After today, I realized that being here, in their office, with a limited amount of time, was a different way of being deliberate. Being present, makes you a person, not an appointment. It's easy to skip an appointment.

If I had to come out here to be a human, so be it. I need to accept that certain people need that. Meeting people on their terms, especially for the first time, just reduces friction.

No comments: