24 March, 2012

Carboy 0.1.2 is out in the wild

After learning a bunch about Homebrew for mac, I decided to do a talk at ruby.mn on the subject. As I was working up to sharing what I'd learned about writing Homebrew formulae, I decided, "hey, there's a pattern to this that I should just wrap up in code instead of just write about it..."

Thus, carboy was born. Homebrew is in reference to home brewing of beer and a carboy is an important part of any homebrewer's toolkit. Here's a library that, if included in your rakefile, gives you some valuable build functionality for creating installs for homebrew. I have released preliminary versions of it to github and rubygems.org

https://github.com/bikeonastick/carboy
https://rubygems.org/gems/carboy



For information on how to use it, read the simple steps 1-10 in the README for carboy on github. Step 0 is assumed, but if you need it, you need it. There's also an example included within carboy called my-tools. Look at that for more info.

I'll be speaking at ruby.mn about carboy on Monday 26 March 2012. Well... I was pretty vague when I signed up to speak, which was before I made the jump from telling folks what I learned about developing for homebrew to writing carboy. Oh well...

One last thing for those of you interested in writing your own Homebrew formulae. Here were some good resources:



No comments: